Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Roller coaster highs and lows

Have I mentioned that my little apartment in Tish's house is in the middle of a deer park?  Okay, not a real deer park, but there are herds of deer roaming nonchalantly through the neighborhood.  The photo below was taken from Tish's yard tonight.  I let out Sadie (loose) tonight with Jasper (tied out, barking wildly), and yet these deer were completely unphased.  Then I tied Dora out, and the deer ran away at top speed.  Perhaps I should explain.



Two weeks ago - my first night alone at Tish's house, I let Sadie and Dora out loose in the backyard, not realizing that the deer were there.  Dora took off after the deer and disappeared into the dark neighborhood and didn't return.  I wandered through the neighborhood for more than 1/2 hour calling for her (and, yes, crying) until I finally found her several blocks away. 

Losing my dog in a strange neighborhood in the dark when I was alone was pretty much the lowest point on the wild roller coaster ride that has been my life for the past few months.  Other low point included finding out that the gas (and heat) had been turned off in my new house; having the buyer of my Lansing house withdraw his offer at the eleventh hour (after I had already arranged to move out); and having the underwriters threaten not to allow my closing the day before I was supposed to fly out for the closing.  These were not the most fun times.

On the other hand, I've had some pretty high points on this roller coaster.  I did find Dora after she ran away.  And, even though the buyer pulled out, I was able to use his inspection results to repair the problems with my house.  And my closing did happen on time, thanks to a very dedicated mortgage loan officer at my credit union.  And my sister did find out that my gas had been turned off before anything froze and called to get it turned back on.  Not to mention the high points of interviewing for and getting a wonderful new job in Minnesota, just a few miles from family.  In the balance of things, the positives outweigh the lows, and I know I should be grateful.  But it would be great to get off this roller coaster and sail along at an even keel for a few uneventful days ...


3 comments:

  1. I tried to comment before --- didn't work, apparently. Anyway, your ups and downs seem a bit more elevated and deeper, so I join you in your wishes for a little less excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear there has been soooo much turmoil. Between it all, can believe the stress you must be under. But things will look up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, I so understand your concern when Dora ran off after the deer. Gracie would probably still be running, as a hunting would do. I'm glad you found Dora not too far away, and I, too, would have been crying! Daisy

    ReplyDelete