Sunday, February 12, 2012

Goodbyes and "last times"

It seems like every time I turn around, I am saying goodbye or experiencing another "last time" before leaving for Minnesota.

On Friday, I went to my last MCLS Board meeting.  After 17 years, it will seem strange not attending their board meetings anymore.  They gave me a goodbye card and a generous gift certificate to a quilt store in Minneapolis, and of course, I did get verklempt (which is going to be happening a lot in the next couple weeks, I'm afraid).



Saturday was my last bell choir practice and today in church was my last time to play bells in the worship service with the bell choir.  We played a variation on The Church's One Foundation - happily without mistakes - so it was nice to go out on a high note!

The choir gave me a goodbye "Smile - Enjoy the Little Things" plaque for my quilt studio, and our director Edisher said some kind words during the service.  Being part of the bell choir for the past four years (first under Sulin and now under Edisher) has been one of the happiest times of my life in Michigan, and I am going to miss the camaraderie and the joy of making music together during our Tuesday practice sessions.  It is sad to realize that this was the last time of playing bells with them.  And after 30 years at Eastminster, it will be harder next Sunday to go to church for the last time and say many more goodbyes.



But even though the goodbyes are teary and there is sadness in knowing that I'm doing things for the last time, there is also a bright side in knowing that I am able to say goodbye and to appreciate these "last times."  How many times have we not had a chance to say final goodbyes to friends and family?  And how many times have we not realized that we were experiencing something for the "last time" and later wished we had savored it more fully?  I feel blessed and lucky to have so many Michigan friends and good memories and that I have the chance to appreciate the goodbyes and "last times" this month.

5 comments:

  1. you made me cry!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured out something, Ruth about a comment on your posts - I know so well what you are experiencing - what mixed emotions. I had my P.E.O. group give me a card shower - near 30 women - I tear up when I think of this and all the other gestures. One of the nicest things is Facebook - I daily keep up with so many that I would have just "left behind" before. Hang in there - so many love you in all the places!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot begin to tell you how much you are going to be missed by your quilting friends. You bring so much to our groups, and your leaving is going to leave a void for us. Love, Daisy

    ReplyDelete