Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Friendship Quilt

I spent my last weekend in Michigan at our annual quilting retreat (or "Rereat!" as we call it) at Debra's house in Grand Rapids.  The date had been set before I knew when I was leaving for Minnesota, and I'm so glad that it worked out for me to be able to go this year.  We've been meeting at Debra's once a year for a couple decades - first at her parents lake cottage, then when she lived in Cadillac (where x-country skiing was a big part of the retreat weekend), and most recently in Grand Rapids.

This was a special weekend for me in so many ways - to be surrounded by friends, to have a chance to sit and talk and sew, to eat good food, and - SURPRISE - they gave me this beautiful quilt!


I was touched and thrilled and honored to be given such a lovely gift. Lori suggested the pattern, and then Cindy organized collecting the blocks and piecing the top, which was quilted by Kari and bound by Louise. Beth, Jan and Linda contributed pieces for the backing.  Each quilter made a block for the center using bird fabric in Lori's block pattern, and the outer border is comprised of blocks made by each quilter in a bird theme.  For example, Jan did the "Hens and Chicks" block pattern, using hen fabric - perfect!  The border also includes signature blocks from each quilter, with a special message to me.  I loved reading each one!


2 comments:

  1. Yes, a wonderful weekend, a wonderful quilt for a wonderful friend!! How many memories we have built over the years. We wish you only the best, as you make this move, and will welcome you back, with open arms and hugs, whenever you can come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be missed, but I know that you are making this move for a reason and we will see each other again.

    ReplyDelete